Sunday, January 29, 2017

A Martin Luther King Jr. Day lesson plan (materials included)



So today will be a double post day, but I'll start with this.
I recently taught a lesson centred on the theme of heroes so I went with one of my personal heroes, the great orator Martin Luther King Jr.

I've got a KEY/PPT slide for you to guide you through the lesson and some extra materials you will need.
Heroes - MLK

During the GROUP READING you should have already set up three separate reading areas with a blown up version of the following text cut up in three piece (Group 1, 2 and 3). This is a very basic jigsaw reading activity.
Group Reading Text
Each student (1, 2 or 3) receives a set of questions to which he doesn't have the answers. Eg: a student 2 will have questions pertaining to students 3 text and thus they will need to share to be able to complete them.
The students are then rearranged and groups of 1-2-3 students are created to share their own info and complete the questions.

I found a really nice True/False activity on pbs.org as part of a lesson plan and did that as my second activity. It is connected to this Vimeo video. You can do quite a lot with the video.

History: Bet You Didn't Know - March on Washington from hsc.tv on Vimeo.

During the lesson, vocabulary, grammar and pronunciation was worked on, recorded and recycled.

I then finished the lesson by asking students to produce a paragraph-speech starting with "I have a dream..." for their next lesson.

I had a lot of fun with this lesson since all the students were genuinely interested and participated a lot in all the different stages.


The Sound Eater

No comments:

Post a Comment